A TechCrunch article: So, Recode reported today that Twitter was tinkering around with the idea of expanding its 140 character limit to a number a bit higher….10,000 characters. But what,...
Courtesy of the Denver Post:
After a 5-11 finish and their worst year of John Elway‘s executive tenure, the Broncos announced Tuesday that they will not raise ticket prices for 2018, marking the second consecutive year in which they’ve held pat.
The average general-admission ticket for the Broncos will stay at around $101, close to the NFL average. The average price for all tickets, including luxury seating, is approximately $190.
“We’ve raised them in good times. When you see the kind of loyalty, commitment and emotions that are fans pour into this team, it’s sort of the least we can do,” Broncos president/CEO Joe Ellis said. “I saw a few comments that maybe we should have lowered them. Those aren’t necessarily totally out of line, but we’re not able to do that because we’re going to field a competitive team each and every year we hope. It wasn’t too difficult of a decision.”
In a letter to fans earlier in the day, Ellis said “there are no excuses for what went wrong,” in Vance Joseph‘s first year as head coach and that “all of us take full responsibility for our first losing record in seven years.”
“With our organization now turning its attention toward the offseason, we’ll continue to have the highest expectations on and off the field,” Ellis wrote. “That’s the standard created by Pat Bowlen, and our commitment is to protect the winning tradition that he’s established during his ownership of the Broncos.
“Personally, it’s important to note that we cannot fall back on our past success. While expectations will not be lowered, there can never be assumptions or an entitled mentality from our organization.
The Broncos haven’t budged on ticket prices since their Super Bowl-winning season in 2015. They failed to make the playoffs in 2016 before Gary Kubiak stepped down from coaching, then fell further while trying to make it back in 2017.
Joseph will stay on for a second season as head coach and he will do so with many new faces on his staff and his roster. The team parted with six assistants on Monday, including longtime running backs coach and assistant head coach, Eric Studesville.
“There are no shortcuts and all of us must put in the hard work to get better,” Ellis added in his letter. “As we embrace the challenge of improving our team, I’m confident in John Elway and Vance Joseph’s plan to return the Broncos to contention. Starting with free agency and the NFL draft, I believe in the vision of our football leadership to acquire and develop players who can help us win.”
Last year the Broncos faced heavy criticism for “weeding out” season-ticket holders who did not attend a single game in 2016. At the time the team said the legal revocation of certain season-ticket holders put “more tickets in the hands of Denver Broncos fans.” But it outraged many who claimed they weren’t warned of the policy and who remained skeptical the team could prove what tickets were sold.
“We will always want to put tickets in the hands of people that want to go to the games,” Ellis said Tuesday. “That process last year, we had unveiled a lot of people that quite frankly were selling their seats for straight profit. That’s not what we want. We have a big waiting list. I’ve also encouraged our people to get these tickets in the hands of people that have been waiting and that will come to games. That is our intention.”
Message from the CEO of the Denver Broncos: